Wow that was one awesome week. Books like this are such fuel for firing up our faith. We all have the ability to question if our faith is in vain. I wouldn’t lie and say I never did but when you read about these prophecies today and the accuracy in which they were filled… God assures us that the Bible is God breathed and that His plan was always and will be fulfilled.
Ch 10: The last vision was given to Daniel after the Jewish people were allowed to leave captivity. Its like a veil was lifted and Daniel was able to see the angels and powers that go on right around us that we don’t even see or know. Michael the Angel was watching and helping Israel. The unseen world, a world of warfare and battle all around us of good verse evil.
Chapter 11. OK, grab your pen and your Bible. following the death of Alexander the Great in 331 B.C. the Greek empire was divided into 4 regions:
- Asia Minor (Turkey)
These predictions from Daniel are 200 years Before there was even a Greek Empire and nearly 400 years before these kings were even born! What we are reading here is SOOOO important, it is what happens between the Old Testament and the New Testament. They may be called “The Silent Years” because prophets did not speak BUT it is a time where God can be boldly seen. OK, take your pen and cross this stuff out as you read.
- Vs 2 The 3 kings from Persia were Cambyses, Gaumaa, and Darius. The richest most Powerful king was Xerxes (pronounced Zerk Sees).
- Vs 3 This is Alexander the Great and the 4 divisions are Greece, Asia Minor (Turkey), Syria and Egypt.
- Vs 4 The king of the South is Ptolemy, and one of his commanders is Seleucus.
- Vs 6 the daughter is Bernice, from Ptolemy, was given in marriage to Antiochus and she was murdered.
- Vs 7 One of family line is the Brother of Bernice, Ptolemy III.
- Vs10 The 2 sons are Seleucus III and Antiochus III
- Vs 21-45 This is Antiochus IV Epiphanes (pronounced Anti Oh Kus). He is called by the Jews a “Mad Man”. He is the Antiochus that is a foreshadow of the Antichrist. Here he is called a contemptible person. (I had to look it up in the Dictionary…told you I was not smart)
The King who exalted himself. Remember, that all that is refered to current time with Antiochus (the silent years) also has to be studied as eschatology, or at End Times too (possible today times) .
And Finally in Chapter 12, I read very slowly, looked a few things up in Hebrew like the word wise and finally read the last verse. Daniel is a book not necessarily about us. It is written for the Jewish people with a Promise of a fulfilled plan. There will ultimately be restoration for His Chosen People. But as I read the last verse I was overwhelmed with joy knowing I could substitute my name in there too as a believer in Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior.
Penny this is for you. 12:4 and 9 is regarding the Scroll of Prophecy of End Times. The Prophecies are sealed and will not be added to. This is referring to what we read in Revelation. How do we know the Bible is COMPLETE? Because God told us.
I wish the book of Daniel was longer.
14 days left guys. 14!! Who are you inviting to read the New Testament with you?
WOW right?? In 3 Chapters we read Daniel’s dream, Daniel’s vision, and Daniel’s Prayer. Chronologically this chapter takes place before “the writing on the wall”. Daniels’ dream of the Four beasts represent the 4 Gentile Nations again. This is another prophecy with great detail like Nebuchadnezzar’s dream. His dream was from a political view, Daniel’s is from a moral view.
- Lion: Babylon (next time you read Jeremiah 4 and 50 or Ezekiel 17 you can now note the Lion and say ohhhhhh I get it.
- Bear:Medo-Persia. The bear was raised on one side wich is probably the dominance of Persia. The 3 ribs in the bears mouth was probably the 3 empires it consisted of ( Babylon, Egypt and Libya)
- Leopard:Greece. It had 4 heads and 4 wings representing with Alexander the Great died the 4 generals appointed to 4 providences. Ptolemies, Seleucids, Antigonids and Attalids. (this all happens later, During the 400 years between the Old Testament and the New Testament much of God’s work still happens. The story of the History that unfolds is not part of the Bible but the exact prophecy of it all happens with pinpoint accuracy) COME TO MY RECAP CLASS AND FIND OUT!
- Beast:Rome. Ten Horns are the 10 kings that will rise from this kingdom and a little horn (Antiochus) is the little horn. (Antiochus is a forshadow of the AntiChirst)
(Note these match the statue from the Head to the 10 toes)
Let’s hit the pause button for a second. After the exile (70 years) King Cyrus after conquering Babylon (if you follow the statue or the animals you KNOW this that Cyrus must be from Medio-Persia. He will release all the Jews so they can go back to Jerusalem. When they are released just a few actually do return. Alexander the Great from Greece enters the picture and conquered what seems to be EVERYONE and spreads the Greek culture to everyone (this movement is called Hellenism) but we know from the prophecies that Rome will take over. Note that these prophecies have a real time meaning of what is to come in the Jewish History AND an Eschatology (end times) of events that will come in the last days. The little horn here of Antiochus (Ant Eye Oh Kus) is a king representing the forshadow of Satan, the little horn (connected in scripture) in Revelation is Satan. (ask me in comments of you want all that clarified)leaving the setting for the Messiah to come.
Finally, the one like a son of man,is the Prophecy of Jesus the Messiah coming to save all and to have an Everlasting Kingdom.
Chapter 8. The Vision, if you notice he is standing in it. He can interact with the Vision to say “what in the world is all this??”, clearly God is too much for our finite minds. The interpretation of this vision is exact with the statue and animals, but this time with more detail to layer on top. The absolute best argument that the Bible could ONLY be written by God, through man’s hand is the exact revelation of prophecies fulfilled to the smallest of detail.
Chapter 9.Daniel’s prayer. PLEASE read this prayer closely and meditate on the parts of it all day. What makes this prayer more “answerable” than other prayers? Consider these points. This info is paraphrased from a John MacArthur commentary that just rocked my world (but not as much as the Bible)
- Daniel KNEW God’s Word. He spoke of Jeremiah’s timeline of 70 years of captivity. Daniel was able to pray IN THE WORD because HE KNEW THE WORD. Daniel knew the direction his nation was headed from reading the scriptures. Do you?
- Daniel prayed that prayer ACCORDING to God’s Will. Do you?
- Daniel Prayed with the UTMOST respect and reverence for the Lord and with COMPLETE recognition of his own unworthiness of even being in the presence of the Lord. Do you?
- Daniel prayed in a “we are sinners” heart but focused on the needs of the others in prayer.
- Daniel prayed that the ULTIMATE purpose of an answered prayer was for ONLY God’s Glorification. DO you?
(I will be right back, going to grab a bandaid…took a beating on all that)
The 70 7′s I know all the Bible is God inspired but this chapter is special. Isaac Newton said “we could stake the truth of Christianity on that prophecy alone, made 5 centuries before Christ; referring to the 70 7′s. If I don’t stop here this Blog will be longer than the Bible so let me just open the can on this one and if anyone is interested I would Love to go into it more in the comment section.
A 7 equals a year (a complete number) so 70 times 7 is 490 years. The Lord put a timeline for the Israelites to Finish Transgressions, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring everlasting righteousness, and to fulfill the prophecy. To keep this simple I will just let you know 69 have already occurred. DId you hear me on that..69 have already occurred. The stopwatch on the 69 STOPPED when Jesus gave his life on the Cross. 69 done….waiting on the last one. When will the stop watch start again?? There is ONE last part to this, and the last one is a 7 of 7. Yup that’s right, the 7 years of Tribulation! Want me to freak you out a little more…when will the 7 year Trib start?? It says it right in the Bible verse 27
He will confirm a covenant with many for one ‘seven.’ In the middle of the ‘seven’ he will put an end to sacrifice and offering.
He referring to the antichrist, will sign a peace treaty with the Israelites and that will BEGIN the last 7.
Are you paying attention. If you are confused close your computer and go turn on the News Channels. PLease comment if you want to know more about any of this…
Chapter 4 verse 28: ”All this happened to King Nebuchadnezzar. Twelve months later, as the king was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, he said, “Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?”
At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.
Chapter 5. Did anyone;s heart stop when you read of this drunken orgy and they are using the goblets and temple items at this party. ANyway we now see the phrase… “the writing is on the wall”…amazing how much I quote scripture and do not even know it!
Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin!
And we see Darius a Mede, at the age of 62 take over the Kingdom. (Pay attention to the Statue Dream)
Ok, so far Daniel Served two Kings if Babylon (Nebuchadnezzar and Belshazzar). Now the Head of the statue fell to the Chest and Medo-Persia is the Empire. Darius, a good leader, did not think his decree would hurt Daniel It was a trick. The administrators were jealous and set the whole thing up. Anyway, the famous story of Daniel in the Lion’s Den. Know that these lions were STARVED and abused so they would viciously attack their prey. Well, you know how the story ends
“For he is the living God
and he endures forever;
his kingdom will not be destroyed,
his dominion will never end.
He rescues and he saves;
he performs signs and wonders
in the heavens and on the earth.
He has rescued Daniel
from the power of the lions.”
So Daniel prospered during the reign of Darius and the reign of Cyrus the Persian.
Cyrus? Didn’t we read his name in Isaiah 300 YEARS ago.
who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd
and will accomplish all that I please;
he will say of Jerusalem, “Let it be rebuilt,”
and of the temple, “Let its foundations be laid.” ‘
”This is what the LORD says to his anointed,
to Cyrus, whose right hand I take hold of
to subdue nations before him
and to strip kings of their armor,
to open doors before him
so that gates will not be shut:
I will go before you
and will level the mountains ;
I will break down gates of bronze
and cut through bars of iron.
I will give you the treasures of darkness,
riches stored in secret places,
so that you may know that I am the LORD,
the God of Israel, who summons you by name.
This is exciting! Ok, let’s set the setting. (Pray I keep this short). Do you remember Josiah, Josiah found the scrolls in the temple and brought about a revival, well this is the wonderful time that Daniel grew up in. This caused Daniel to learn and be rooted in the Law and God’s way. So in verse 1 it says that during Jehoikim (pronounced Jeh Hoy Eh Kim) Jerusalem was besieged and THE LORD handed over Judah ALONG with the articles from the temple. (keep all that tucked in your brain for later)
I am not going to reiterate the reading but I have to talk about some stuff otherwise I will just burst. Daniel and his friends names are changed to make them more politically correct with the Babylonians. So Nebuchadnezzar changes their names with the corresponding meanings:
- Daniel (God is my Judge) to Belteshazzar(Bel protect his life…Bel, also called Marduk their chief god)
- Hananiah (The Lord shows Grace) to Shadrack(Under the command of Aku ‘moon god’)
- Mishael (Who is like God?) to Mishak(Who is like Aku?)
- Azaraih (The Lord helps) to Abednego(servant of nego ‘god of learning’)
Did the word Resolve (1:8) jump out to anyone. Whoosh it gave me something to think about. It was so definite and thought out. “I resolve to….” Anyway, as you read completely notice God’s unseen hand through out the story. God is completely in control of every move.
In Chapter 2 verse 14 I am really taking note to Daniel’s character. It says Daniel spoke to him with Wisdom and Tact. The unrecognizable parallel is incredible to this modern time. What a story to tell our children. I truly don’t know how to say this without using names so I hope I don’t offend anyone politically BUT we are in a time where our leadership of our nation (like Nebuchadnezzar) does not base his decisions on biblical principles. However, it is a great way to teach our children that Daniel did not rebel or revolt, yet through his tact and wisdom respectfully disagreed and never wavered on His obedience to the Lord. He had resolved to be faithful and to never defile himself but never once did it without disrespect for the leaders of Babylon. We need to teach our children to be little Daniels.
The Dream (I really wish we had a week on just these chapters!) We can’t talk about everything I encourage you to dig deep, study Daniel when we are done. Daniel reminded me of Joseph taking NO credit for interpreting dreams, every good gift we have is from the Lord. So we have this statue, and then an interpretation, and the uncut rock, that will fill in whole earth (goosebumps) So you have this let me just bullet the points
- Head of Gold: represented the kingdom of Babylon which the LORD gave Nebuchadnezzar to rule. The Gold symbolizes superior power, and eventually it would be destroyed by a less inferior kingdom.
- Chest and Arms of Silver: represented the kingdom of Medo-Persia which is the power that would take over Babylon. Remember it this way, 2 arms, first one arm raised up (Darius the Mede) took Babylon without even a fight and then the other arm, Persia, Judah was currently under Persia rule and later they gained control over Egypt and Libya. But eventually will be conquered by a lesser nation…
- Belly and Thighs of Bronze:represent Greece. In 332 B.C. Alexander the Great will conquer the entire area, bringing a teaching of Greek language and culture to everyone (thus the Greek written NT). But eventually Greece would be conquered by an even lesser kingdom.
- Legs of Iron and Feet of Clay: this evidently refers to the Roman Empire. The kingdom would be a mixture of people who would not be united. If you follow history you would see along trail from General Pompey to Julius Caesar, to Herod the Great then to Pontius Pilate.
- Finally the ROCK……WOW!! The rock was cut out , but not by human hands, and it will break the whole statue to pieces and will be carried away by the wind. Then the stone will become a MOUNTAIN and will fill the whole earth! Please tell me you just said AMEN out loud. The stone in Chapter 2 is Jesus Christ. Despite the wealth and power of all the nations, the promise of a covenant was made to Abraham and that promise will be fulfilled.
Chapter 3. The well known story of the 4th man in the Furnace! I don’t need to retell this chapter I know you read it word for word it was that good but tell me the things that stuck out to you in the story! A word, a vision, an application….There were a few for me but I want to hear from you first!
If the only thing you think of when you hear Daniel is the Lion’s Den, then it is time to read it again (or for the first time for many) Daniel is so much more than just that one part of the book. Daniel stands in God’s Word no matter what the circumstances.
Daniel belonged to a family of high rank when he was taken into captivity to Babylon in the first invasion by Nebuchadnezzar (Ezekiel, who we just read was taken in the second wave, about 8 years after him). Daniel was about 16 years old. Daniel lived to be over 90 so he saw he saw it all! He saw the Babylonian Empire fall and the Medo-Persia empire grow. He served under many different kings, Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar, Darius and Cyrus. Daniel’s entire adult life was spent inside Babylon.
In this book you will see God as a Keeper, Protector, a Revealer, A Deliverer, a Judge and of course All Powerful. The book is divided into two main sections
- A historical narration (chapters 1-6)
- An Eschatology, a prophecy of Revelation (Chapters 7-12)
The original book was written in Hebrew except some of the first half which was written in Aramaic, which was becoming the commercial and diplomatic language of the time. The city of Babylon was perhaps one of the grandest most luxurious city’s ever. When I picture it, I picture Las Vegas, New York and Miami all in one. Babylon came to its zenith while Daniel was there under Nebuchadnezzar, who reigned for 45 years.
Babylon , will however be captured (in a day!!) by the Medes and Persians, but will remain an important city for years to come. I remember reading in Isaiah the prophecy of Babylon’s future:
Babylon, the jewel of kingdoms,
the glory of the Babylonians’ pride,
will be overthrown by God
like Sodom and Gomorrah. She will never be inhabited
or lived in through all generations;
no Arab will pitch his tent there,
no shepherd will rest his flocks there.
But desert creatures will lie there,
jackals will fill her houses;
there the owls will dwell,
and there the wild goats will leap about.
Hyenas will howl in her strongholds,
jackals in her luxurious palaces.
Her time is at hand,
and her days will not be prolonged.
I have not been there, but I know friends that have and it is exactly true! (of course).